SCDI MEETS WITH ECONOMY CABSEC
SCDI Policy Committee met yesterday (Wednesday 29 April) with Fiona Hyslop MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture, for a valuable and constructive discussion about the Scottish Government’s response to COVID-19, business support and building a social and economic recovery for a better Scotland.
The Cabinet Secretary provided an update on the Scottish Government’s work to ‘Respond, Reset, Restart and Recover’. She also committed to accelerate ‘shovel-ready’ infrastructure projects to stimulate construction sector and the wider Scottish economy.
A number of key issues for our members were also raised with Ms Hyslop, including:
- The importance of a ‘test and isolate’ strategy to protect key workers and their families, as well as support a safe return to the workplace for other sectors when it is appropriate to do so.
- How to deliver a phased, fair and safe re-opening of sectors of the economy, especially key industries for employment and growth such as retail, tourism and hospitality.
- The need for improved tailored support – in addition to the UK Government’s new Future Fund – for hi-tech, high-growth start-ups, which may not be profitable but are highly innovative and represent the future of the Scottish economy.
- How to exploit new and emerging opportunities to build more resilient domestic supply chains and a stronger manufacturing base in Scotland.
- How to exploit new and emerging opportunities to accelerate progress towards net-zero as part of a ‘Green Recovery’.
- Committed to accelerating public sector infrastructure investment to provide a stimulus to the construction sector and wider economy
SCDI is now working with the Scottish Government to take forward these issues. Can you provide support for ‘test, isolate and trace’? Do you have views on how we should re-open the economy and build the recovery? Or feedback on existing business support options, such as the Future Fund?
Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to hear from you.
Our COVID-19 Hub is updated with the latest information, advice and support to help SCDI members through the crisis.
Our Member Briefing highlights our members’ key priorities and asks of government.