CONSULTATION RESPONSE: Green Recovery
Our response to the Committee’s call for evidence – building on our Clean Growth Leadership Group’s recent report – sets out the key policies, actions and immediate priorities which our members believe can deliver a green recovery.
We’re calling for:
- Green Stimulus for an investment-led recovery, with large-scale nationwide investment in buildings retrofit and energy efficiency; heat pumps; low- and zero-carbon transport infrastructure; nature-based solutions; and digital connectivity.
- Green Reskilling and Upskilling Fund to employers access essential green skills and to help laid-off workers (especially young people) transition into new green jobs.
- Green Town/City Plans to transform the topography and connectivity of Scotland’s towns and cities, supporting active travel, helping businesses reopen and creating more green spaces.
- New ‘net-zero presumption in favour’ of development to accelerate projects which are essential to achieving net-zero (e.g. new active travel routes, onshore wind farms, pumped storage hydro, sustainable housing).
- Reformed public procurement approaches based on more local and sustainable supply chains (e.g. Community Wealth Building).
- Net-zero conditionality on support packages, rescue or bailout agreements for struggling businesses or sectors.
You can download our full response, as well as our Building Scotland’s Green Recovery report, below.