State of the Nation: Forecasts, furlough and the future of cities
SCDI’s latest State of the Nation briefing for August brings together all of the latest data, forecasts and analysis on the Scottish economy in one place, so you don’t have to.
- Scotland’s economy is now only 2.7% smaller than before the pandemic after another month of modest growth
- Inflation surges further to 2.5% – and could rise to 3% or 4%
- Glasgow has been hit harder by home-working than any other city in the UK with only 9% of commuters returning and footfall down 60%
- 38% of Scottish firms face higher levels of debt due to COVID-19
- 173,100 Scots are still on furlough
- Between 2014 and 2019, the number of low-carbon and renewable energy jobs in Scotland fell from 23,000 to 21,000 – underlining the need for urgent investment in a green recovery to create new green jobs
Download the briefing below, published in partnership with DailyBusiness.